Have you started baking or making fixings for Christmas? I have had different kinds of Christmas meals over the past few years. This year we are having a chili dinner with my husband’s family. We’ll be drinking Orange Spice Lemonade–something that was created out of a lack of lemon juice.
My favorite Christmas meal is turkey and mashed potatoes. But, alas, no turkey for years. Mainly ham because everyone likes ham and not turkey. Another favorite of mine is Jello Party Salad. Yes, it’s vintage and if I am to enjoy it, I have to make it. Most of you who remember this recall that it’s called “Lime Jello Party Salad.” But, I like to mix it up with different flavors like cherry or orange. I’m not industrious enough to make it this year. However, if I get motivated, I’m going to try making Matcha Cheesecake Brownies.
What are some of your favorite Christmas recipes? Please share in the Facebook group. We just might find a new traditional favorite!
Jello Party Salad
Cook time: 4 Hr Prep time: 30 Min Serves: 12
- 16 large marshmallows
- 1 small pkg of Jello (Any flavor or make a double batch and combine two flavors. I really enjoy cherry.)
- 8 oz cool whip (1 container)(or heaving whipping cream, whipped)
- 1 c milk
- 2/3 c light miracle whip
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 20 oz crushed pineapple
- pecans (opt.)
- 1. Mix together marshmallows and milk in double boiler until melted. Remove from heat and add package of Jello. Stir until completely dissolved.
- 2. Add softened cream cheese to jello mixture until well blended. Add pineapple then let cool for about 10 minutes.
- 3. After it’s cooled stir in the mayonnaise and fold in the whip cream. (Optional – Add pecans in the jello or on top for garnish).
- Pour into mold and chill until firm.(3-4 hours) Using a mold is optional. I have just served it in a big bowl. My mother used a large glass serving bowl with a pedestal stem.
Orange Spice Lemonade
Chill time: 4-5 Hr Prep time: 15 Min Makes: 1 gallon
- 1 c lemon juice
- 3 c sugar (use less for a more tart lemonade or sugar substitute)
- 4 orange spice tea bags (or other flavor of herbal tea like black cherry
- 6 c water
Pour lemon juice in one gallon pitcher. Add sugar. Fill with water. Stir. Add tea bags. (These will steep their flavor in a cold environment. No need to steep with hot water first.) Chill for 4 -5 hrs.